Creating an SSH key pair from linux
Ensure you are currently using the user account which will be using the SSH connection
- Run the command below and press enter until it has completed
ssh-keygen -t rsa
- By default your private and public key will be stored in ~/.ssh/
Creating an SSH key pair from Windows
- Firstly, download and install putty from Here
- Now type puttygen in your start menu and launch the program
- Ensure SSH-2 RSA is selected at the bottom of the screen and click generate. Move your mouse around in the box in the middle to generate some randomness
- Save your private key as [yourname].ppk in your documents in a directory called ssh-key.
- Save your public key as [yourname].txt in your documents in the same directory.